Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Friday, February 29, 2008

Learning

I got a new book today at the library, "Painting Chinese." Here is what is written on the jacket:

What does a man nearing seventy do to keep himself engaged in the world around him? Esteemed educator and National Book Award winner Herb Kohl decided to try something new. While walking around San Francisco, Kohl happened upon a painting studio. He had dabbled in painting and decided a class would provide just the inspiration and instruction he needed. On a whim, he signed up. When he arrived for his first lesson he was surprised to learn that the class was in Chinese landscape painting. He was even more surprised to see that his fellow students were all Chinese and between the ages of four and seven.

I'm excited to read this book, though I have to finish "The Geography of Bliss" first.

My father and oldest sister truly exemplified for me the joy of learning, for no other reason but to acquire a new skill, different perspective or to gain knowledge. Learning for learning's sake.

When I was nine I told my sister, Teresa, I had learned how to sign the alphabet in school and she excitedly asked me to show her. I did and she practiced until she got it too. I was so pleased to be able to share with my big sister something that I knew and she didn't, but more than that, I was affected by her enthusiasm over the acquisition of a gained skill.

My father use to take us to obscure museums (Peshtigo Fire Museum) and on factory tours and I remember his genuine interest in whatever information was conveyed. He actually read the plaques next to the displays! Like Herbert Kohl, he also took a painting class when he was 40-something, because he wanted to.

Maybe this love of learning is why I enjoy working at an elementary school. Yesterday I got to read a book about rhinoceroses and both my student and I were astounded by the facts presented...rhinos weigh 8000 pounds! Children will vibrate with excitement over a newly acquired skill or from learning something that is really cool. It's as if the world has just been opened up to them and I am so thankful to be along for the ride.

1 comment:

yankeetess said...

I never saw this post!! I am so touched! As I always say to Caleb, it's a good day if you learned something new!!