Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Friends

My friend, Lisa, emailed today and said she was surprised I had a blog, she didn't think of me as the blogger type. That made me wonder what type I am! The rest of Lisa's email just made me laugh and then I felt sad, because I miss Lisa.

When we came back to Utah I was hoping it was temporary. I was good at living in places temporarily and I was still battling with how I let myself come back to a state that I was angry with (if one can be angry with a whole state!).

After living here two weeks I walked into my training for a new job and I spotted Lisa, with her Starbucks cup. Yes! I knew nothing else about her, but that she went to Starbucks, instant grounds (no pun intended) for friendship.

As the months went on Lisa and I spent time at work together, walked around Logan during the afternoons and started developing plans to bring a children's museum to Cache Valley. I remember driving one quiet Sunday and thinking how lucky I was to have found another wonderful, female friend. Living in Logan again was going to be ok.

Then Lisa's silly husband got a new job, in Kansas! I kept holding out hope that he would hate it and they would move back...I'm very good at not facing reality until I have to, and even then I can find ways around dealing with it.

What bothered me about Lisa's move was that I'd been in temporary mode for years, knowing I would be saying good-bye to people and moving on. When my best friend, Paula, moved from Ann Arbor I was so upset, but I knew we'd be moving on to our own adventures soon after. What bothered me a lot about Lisa's move was I finally accepted that we might be in one place for a long time and I'd made a best friend, and SHE was moving on and I wouldn't be moving somewhere too. It didn't seem fair.

Then I did my "cup half-full" bit and realized how well timed our move to Logan was! We got here just in time for me to meet this fabulous person, without whom my first year back would've been much less enjoyable. I also felt I had garnered some strength from that friendship to foresee a future in Logan...even without Lisa.

I still think life in Logan would be so much more fun if Lisa were still here, but she's not. She moved and there is nothing that makes me believe I will be shortly following. I have, however, been able to form new friendships and that is a really good thing. What would be the best would be to go to Starbucks and talk with Lisa about my new friends!! Maybe when I go visit her in Kansas City...

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I think this is such a lovely blog entry. How lucky you are to have made a friend like Lisa! And how lucky for all the rest of us still living in Utah that you are here now!

Unknown said...

Thank you Brooke! I didn't intend the blog to become my own personal journal, but I wanted to write an ode to my friends. I feel so lucky to have met you! I'm about to sign-up for the book thing you sent...I'm reading a great one right now!