Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Friday, February 15, 2008

TGIF!

This past week was a bit crazy at the beginning, but calmed down and now we are all happy it's Friday, especially because we have Monday off, yea!

Sophie has a friend sleeping over tonight. This is her first friend to spend the night since we moved to Utah. When we lived in Michigan, Soph had her first sleepover. Eun slept at our house and we realized sleepovers did not mean the children actually slept! When Eun's family reciprocated we were so pleased, and then the next morning Soph came home grumbling, "Eun's mom said we can't have sleepovers anymore." Huh, wonder why!

That sleepover was also during my way over-protective parent phase (now I'm just an over-protective parent) and since Eun's family lived next door, I thought I'd just sneak over around 10:00 p.m. and peek in. I had the phone with me, I think I was chatting with my sister, and call waiting came through...it was Eun's mom! I thought I'd been caught, but no, Soph wanted something from our house. Phew!

My friend went through the LDS Temple today, which is a really big deal in the Mormon culture. I told her I'd be putting it on my blog, but I really don't know what the ceremony entails. I was raised Methodist/Presbyterian and our big ceremonies were baptism, which happens when you're an infant, so I have no recollection, and confirmation, which I never went through. Our wedding was at Logan's Presbyterian Church and there were prayers said, but most of the ceremony was what we designed, including our vows. The ministers (there were 2) were suppose to say we would support each others' dreams, but one minister messed up and said that Steve would supply my dreams, which had me a little bit scared!

So I don't have a background of really strong rituals and I'm fascinated by them. I wonder, do people really believe in them or is it simply a way for a person to pass from one stage to another in their community? Is it a proclamation to others? To ourselves? Why are some cultures more immersed in rituals than others?

1 comment:

Brooke said...

So has Steve supplied lots of dreams or what?? :)

I think your ritual questions are interesting. I think it is a rite of passage, moving to the next phase-typed thing, but I also think the ritual itself can have very real meaning... You always write such thought-provoking posts, Heather. I think when we get together sometime we will need to set aside several hours. Maybe Jason and Steve can become friends too, and we can all hang out for hours on end.