Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Book Recommendations

I just finished "Helping Me Help Myself," by Beth Lisick and it was hilarious! I actually laughed out loud a few times. The book follows Lisick's year-long journey of testing out a variety of self-help programs: Stephen Covey's 7-Steps, John Gray's planet analogies and my favorite, her time on a Richard Simmons's cruise to lose. I want to read her other book, "Everyone Into the Pool," but our local library doesn't have it. Sigh.

I am now reading "Tested" by Linda Perlstein and it is about a school in Maryland that went from really low test scores to high test scores and the struggles faced trying to maintain the high test scores.

As the book states, a lot of what is instructed now is scripted and to deviate from the script is frowned upon. It is sad to see creativity, questioning and even independent thought pushed aside because there is too much to cover for such frivolity.

When I'm working with the kids, especially in kindergarten, I often think of a CEO trying to conduct a meeting with these students as their employees: one is swiveling around in their seat and humming out loud, another is making monkey faces about 2 inches away from their face, one gets up and starts spinning in circles and my favorite, one starts meowing because today, they are a cat. Then I wonder, why do teachers make a fraction of what these CEOs make? At least the CEOs get free coffee and pastries at their meetings, oh and slightly more comfy chairs than that which is suited for the body of a 5-year old.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm happy for the book recommendations! Also, I love your thoughts about the pay scale for a CEO vs. a teacher. I was loving Bennett's classroom today. There was all kinds of crazy stuff happening, and through it all, Mrs. Cantwell keeps her cool. She's amazingly cheerful.

My son for one, is constantly shouting out, sharing stories about our family that aren't necessarily bad, but not ones I would choose to report to a large group. There are no safe secrets with Kindergarteners. Jason and I remind each other that everything we say will probably be brought up in Bennett's classroom any morning. I guess at least we can continue to help him remember to at least raise his hand first.