Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wisconsin vs. Utah

Sophie asked for a story today, one from when I was little. I told her about getting our allowance on Saturday morning and heading out to buy candy...at the liquor store. Steve thinks that's the funniest thing, that my siblings and I would head on down and amongst the beer and vodka we'd find our Jawbreakers and Wacky Wafers. That was life in Wisconsin, more bars than people, haha.

In Utah things are slightly different. The big articles in the Sunday paper are about some small town deciding to sell beer on Sundays and for weeks after, people write in voicing their opinion on such a controversial matter. Afterall, in Utah there are more churches than people, haha.

Growing up I wasn't aware of the "bar culture," my parents didn't take us to bars and other than the occasional glass of wine with dinner, they weren't big drinkers. I wonder what Sophie's perception of her childhood in Utah will be. We aren't part of the dominant culture, but it doesn't seem to affect her daily life. If I had stayed in Wisconsin, in the small town where everyone turned out for the Friday night football games, would I have the same interests I do now? Neither of my parents were from Wisconsin, and was that a bigger factor than my environment? I know it's both, I'm just dying to fast forward 10 years from now and hear Sophie's take on her childhood in Utah. One thing I know, she won't be sharing stories with her kids about buying candy at the liquor store.

No comments: