Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Face Cards

My previous post was about the "evils of face cards," but I deleted most of it after feeling I was giving a false representation of the local culture. What I wrote was that I took some cards to school for the students to use after their spelling tests and was told that the face cards (jack, queen, king) had to be taken out because some people considered them evil. I was baffled.

I spoke with the principal yesterday and found out that no, the cards are not forbidden at the school and yes, there may be some parents who do not want their kids playing with the face cards. I can go along with that. I also found out from a good friend that although some people may have forbidden their children to use cards, most families use them and playing card games is not considered evil. Sounds like the situation in any area of the world, there are those who go over the top, those who disregard every rule and most of the population resides somewhere in between.

The rest of my post was about growing up and being forbidden to use any devices that predicted the future, such as a Magic 8 Ball and to this day I want one, but just can't bring myself to purchase one. I've been to fortune tellers, palm readers, tarot card readers and have played with a Ouija board, but I do not put faith in those things, they're just good fun.

No comments: