Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yay for Logan

Yesterday an ordinance passed in Logan that bans discrimination based on sexual orientation. This ordinance is suppose to address employment and housing specifically, but I hope it will further its reaches by educating all persons about differences and our need for acceptance and understanding.

I wrote an email to the city council after the ordinance was initially voted against. I relayed my experience of being discriminated against right here in Logan, UT. Back in the 90s, I went to a job interview and was asked point blank if I was LDS. When I said I was not, I was told I would not fit into the work environment. I remember and can still feel the shame I felt when I left that interview, as if I were a dirty person, and it stung like nothing else had. Nobody should feel that way because of personal choices that do not impact their ability to do a job or pay the rent.

We all - myself included - need to surround ourselves with persons of differing backgrounds, educational levels, cultures, religious preferences and lifestyle choices. I believe when we broaden our own community we stop seeing so many differences and start realizing how similar all persons are: we all want to love and be loved, we all want to succeed and we all want to feel safe and valued. If people in our community are not feeling those things, change is needed and I applaud Logan for taking a step toward that change.

5 comments:

me said...

I have to say I had a very similar job hunting experience to your own in which I told the interiewer that he had no legal right to ask me such a question and that my religious affiliation should have no bearing on my ability to perform that particular job. I left there knowing that I would not get the job, that I had likely been discriminated against and that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. In a court of law I would have had no case in a he said/she said situation as a teenager versus an adult in Logan, Utah.

I don't know if this new ordinance will do much to change the attitudes it is designed to combat but at least the people have spoken with their vote.

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That stinks that you had a similar experience. I hope this ordinance educates people and helps them understand that discrimination, in any form, is unacceptable.

Linda said...

I used it to my advantage when I got my first job in SLC after I got married. Doug and I had to move to SLC for him to go to the U. When I went on my job interview, I talked about Doug's mission and made Mormon references. I got the job. I knew what they wanted and I used it. I really wasn't going to church but I knew it would get me the job. SAD!!!!

me said...

@Linda: Sad but clever of you to be able to read into it, I laughed when I read that. If I had been smarter I should have just said something about the ward in my neighborhood and not really spelled it all out for him but as it was a menial job it wasn't that important to me.

My deleted comment above is just from blogger double posting what I wrote..in case anybody is wondering hehehe.