Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Timmy

Living in Utah a second time meant I got to reconnect with people I knew from my first stint here in the 90's and one of those people was Timmy (yes, that was his name as stated on his birth certificate).

I actually first saw Tim back in 1991, I just moved to Utah from Pennsylvania and he was a cashier at Smith's. I had a bit of a crush on him, with his longer blond hair, blue eyes and completely engaging smile. We eventually met due to mutual friends and from 1995 - 1998 I got to hang out with Tim quite a bit.

When we returned to Logan Tim was one of the first people I sought out. We got together and it was like never missing a beat - started talking philosophy and religion and all other deep matters. Get-togethers at Starbucks and Einstein Brothers followed, including one time when I brought Soph so Tim could tell her tales of being a caretaker of The Nunnery - a former convent in Logan Canyon. Soph loved being around Tim.

I still do not know the specifics of what caused Tim's too early passing. I do know I ache. I tried to text him a couple months ago, didn't get a response and just shelved it, thinking I'd see him before we moved.

I cannot even say I know Tim is in a better place - I don't know what happens when we leave this life. Tim was practicing Zen when I last saw him and to me he embodied the attentiveness and mindfulness of a Zen Master. My hope for him is that he is in a place in which he can continue learning, continue smiling and continue being his fabulous self, without all the grief that a life on Earth entails.

2 comments:

Brenda Croshaw Porath said...

Heather, thank you for your beautiful memories of Tim. I posted on my facebook this morning I needed help gathering my Tim memeories and Kelly told me about your post. I had totally forgotten about his little adventure up at the nunnery!! Who else but Tim would do that!! We had been friends since I moved here in 1978... I can't believe he has left us so soon. Again, thank you!! If any other memories come to mind I would love for you and his other friends to share them with me. The family has asked me to talk about him at the service and I would appreciate any memories anyone would like to share. banyan1027@comcast.net
Thank You!!!!

Unknown said...

I don't know if I know Tim or not but I'm always sad to hear of someone passing way too early. I'm also sad for those that knew the person. I'm sending happy thoughts and prayers to you and others that knew him. We lost a good friend back in 1996 and he was 21 at the time. I remember feeling like I'd been punched in the gut, yet my heart hurt. It took a while to fade, the pain that is. I still think about him, when certain things happen or I hear a song he liked. I feel sadness for what he wasn't able to do. It's always so sad. I hope his service gives people a chance to rejoice(his life) together and mourn together as well. Sending loves.