Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Friday, May 14, 2010

Authority

I am not exactly sure when it started, but I have been leery of authority figures, or the suggestion that one is suppose to be an authority figure, for a very long time. I know this plays a huge part in my skepticism regarding religion.

I actually love attending church, I often find it soothing and comforting, but I abhor what I perceive as the blind following of a man/woman who is suppose to be the authority of the religion. This does not mean I abhor the man/woman (minister, priest, lama, bishop, etc.), especially if I feel they are able to admit that at the end of the day, they also just really don't know the answer to the big questions. I abhor what I see to be the turning off of one's brain and common sense and accepting another person's explanation of that which cannot be explained.

The pastor of the current church I attend knows my feelings about this: the regurgitation of certain prayers, the choral responses, the seemingly expressionless recitations of written words. I think I understand the part those things are suppose to play - they provide a meaningful ritual to followers. I applaud anyone who has truly listened to the words and can repeat them with full belief, but I often wonder how closely the words have been studied.

I also realize that I just like to question authority, even if I don't necessarily disagree with what is being said. I like to hear the reasons why people think or act the way they do. I like to know that they have thought about why they think and act the way they do. If I hear blanket responses, "Because I know it's true," then I turn off. I understand that what they may mean is they cannot define how they know, they just know, but that makes me think they have not truly investigated the reasons for their beliefs nor have they challenged their beliefs by exploring others.

I do think there are "authorities" of certain religions and those authorities are people who have studied the religion, know its history and are continuing to learn about the modern day implications around the religion. I think it is important to talk with these authorities, take their words and compare them against your own studies, which should include talking to people who are authorities of other religions. The bottom line is, question authority.

As a teenager I had a poster of Sid Vicious in my room and this quote (though I think it was written slightly differently) was on it:

Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you ALIVE.”

Perhaps my viewing of those words day in and day out caused me to be brainwashed by them. Perhaps I blindly accept those words and oh, the philosophical ramifications are too much for me to ponder at this time, but I think the idea is to take the sentiment behind Sid's words and apply them to your life in a way that means you are living your life with your eyes wide open and your brain fully on.

5 comments:

Kelly Rhea said...

Using our brains, questioning, and understanding is what brought me closer to God. Being OK with tradition and rituals for the comfort, and letting things go that don't ring true for me is getting easier. I wanted others to say, "Hey, that doesn't make sense." Now I think what is right for me, doesn't need to apply to all. I'm still very curious also about why people believe or not, but allow flexibility for a broader perspective. I want peace within and peace without, but not at any cost. Standing up for what we believe is important, but doing it in a way people will hear us and think is the hard part. That's why your writing is powerful Heather, makes us think.

Tannie Datwyler said...

So, I'd not really thought about how it sounds when I say "I just know..." that's such a good point. Most the time I feel like if I try to explain or justify my beliefs it sounds silly. Instead I just explain that I know it inside. But at the same time, I've studied it out logically in my mind as well. There is other "proof" for me - I just don't share it. Maybe I should. :)

Also - I think you are right. When we follow blindly we are wrong. I don't think I do that... I always follow the things my church leaders say, but if it seems odd to me then I might question it for a bit and then try to find out for myself. Make sense?

Unknown said...

Tannie, that totally makes sense and knowing you as I do, I can't imagine you blindly accepting anything as truth.

Kelly - I think you bring up a good point, it's ok to acknowledge that another person has found a truth that works for them, but to also try to place it in your own life and say, "That doesn't fit." It doesn't need to be right or wrong, although....

The one I struggle with is the "Jesus is the savior" versus "Jesus is my savior" argument. I can understand the latter statement, but not the former. I don't have 1 savior, I like to follow the teachings of many and wonder why others have to stick with statement #1 and not realize that different people have different guides: Jesus, Buddha, Hindu gods, etc.

Oh, and Tannie, I think there are times you just know and putting that knowledge into words is too difficult! If you think of a way though, please tell me!

functioning chaos said...

Miss Heather- oh how there is one word. AMEN. I was not raised with any Iota of religion. Period. But was told I was lutheran. Huh? Was my response. I just didn't get it. I always felt out of place with my views and opinions. When I turned 19 I was baptized LDS. I did it for myself. It felt just 'right' I still question and rebel, everyone should. Your brain simply will not grow and learn if you don't.I want my children to learn that I am a good example. please do ask I ask but if you really don't want to go with me to church that day I will not force you.Use your own brain I cannot think f
or you, feel for you or believe for you. Tannie-I understand what you mean. For me it is a floaty relaxed feeling and I have discovered that if I try too hard to feel it I won't. Just let go and it finds you..

Kelly Rhea said...

Some people who want to become experts in their field narrow their focus and study their craft with discipline to grow, and get joy from knowing they did it. They are safe in their knowledge and hard work and know it pays off. Others can pick up many instruments, play beautifully, and get joy out of each one, amazing the rest of us with their God given talent. I have two people close to me like that. Their religion is approached the same way. I am intrigued by others' vocabulary, and have realized some use The Truth, while others say, "True for me". Exclusive and closed verses open minded and flexible. Literal verses Living Spirit. Of course it's much more complex, but I have found it's easier to go along to get along, follow rules, conform---until your spirit says, "I can't do this anymore!" When the rug gets pulled out from under us, and we start from scratch separating what we want and what needs to go to the "thrift store," it's scary and freeing! I'm just now feeling more peaceful, less defensive, less cynical, more compassionate toward those still throwing around, "I'm right, agree or you're wrong." Things that can't be proven, just "known", need to remain flexible, fluid, and free--to me. People who practice so tightly that they have lost the joy of the music, well that's just sad. Hard work mixed with grace, beautiful to my ears!!!