Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 12

I bought a cross made in El Salvador from Global Village about a month ago and meant to send it to my mom. Today I put it in an envelope with a little note for our pastor at First Presbyterian, since the focus of this season is the cross. Two good deeds done: the gift and purchasing it at Global Village, which helps other countries.

I love sitting at church and listening to the sermon, looking around at the beautiful windows and structure of the building and listening to the choir sing. There is one thing I don't like, I never have, and that is the prayer of confession. To me it's like telling ourselves and a god how much we, excuse my language, suck. I find it horribly depressing and what I find baffling is, doesn't a god that created us want to hear about the good things we're doing? I mean ok, let's not brag and get all self-righteous (but wait, it is church...), but let's talk about some of the ways we're using the gifts we've been given!

So I have chosen not to say the prayer of confession. I listen to others say it, and I feel sad. From now on, during that point of the service, I'm going to think in my head of all the good things people are doing and thank God (again, not sure there is one) for giving us the ability to appreciate the wonderful attributes of others. Sure, I can add to that, "Let me do better..." but that's it, one line, not a whole prayer.

No comments: