Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Certainty


First, this is the view we had on our walk today. Pretty amazing and one of the reasons we returned to Utah. Unfortunately, Cache Valley often has
the worst air quality in the country during the winter, due to trapped pollution, but days like this: sunny and crisp, reinvigorate my spirit!

I was asked to write something for a pamphlet First Presbyterian is putting together for Lent. It can be of a spiritual practice, an account of one's relationship with Jesus or when one felt a prayer was answered.

I wrote what I feel, which doesn't fit the mold of Christianity, but it is of what I am certain:

I believe, if there is a god, that god is so far beyond our comprehension that we can only understand the very beginnings of its existence. It is not our job on earth to figure out what happens after we die. We do not know who is given grace. We are not to judge who is right or wrong in their practices of worship. We are here to love one another and to show that love through acts of kindness. Whether there is a god or not will not take away from the kindness we can bestow upon others. If there is a god, surely our kindness makes god happy. If there is not a god, we are still better people for giving of ourselves to others.

The religious services I have visited often contain language that speaks to a certainty in an afterlife, a specific savior or even a believe that the organization is true. I cannot imagine speaking those words with conviction. Just the idea of a higher being baffles me and if there is one, I do not think I can speculate as to a plan or agenda that this higher being has without lessening the magnitude of their abilities.

For instance, I often hear people say that we will know the truth when we die. Really? What if we thought that before and this is what happened after we died? What if that is just something we say to make death less fearful? Why do we need to assume there is something after this? Why would God decide that that is the point in which we will reach enlightenment? I'm just not convinced it's that simple.

So for now my certainty lies in something that is hard enough for me to follow: being kind to everyone. EVERYONE! Just a second ago I was short with Sophie and I'm writing about kindness, so obviously it is an ongoing struggle, but I would assume that persons from all religions would agree that a god worth worshipping is a god who promotes kindness to all.







3 comments:

Kelly Rhea said...

This air quality is giving me a sinus headache, uuuggh.... Lately, I feel like there is so much derision and contempt towards others that I am overly sensitive to it. Kindness is not overrated and I long for civility, especially as an example for our children/grandchildren. Keeping our hearts and minds open is indeed hard work. I continue to work on it daily. I'm becoming more comfortable with not knowing for sure.

Annie said...

"We are here to love one another and to show that love through acts of kindness."

Beautiful, Heather. You are such a great example of being kind to others for the right reasons!

Brooke said...

I love this post, Heather. What thoughtful words. And as far as kindness goes, little acts of kindness are not little at all! They are everything. Little acts of kindness are all most of us can do in life to leave the world a better place. I want to tell you that you have definitely made the world a better place, Heather. Thnaks for being you.