Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Monday, February 15, 2010

Brought Together by a Common Cause

I received very, very sad news over the weekend. A person who was very important during a brief time in my life, passed away, far too young, from pancreatic cancer. He leaves a wife and 2 sons behind and although I hadn't talked to him in 5 years, I smile at the memories of our brief connection.

Dave Johnson was part of our small team that tried to save Family Housing at the University of Michigan. For about a month he, another neighbor and myself stayed up all hours of the night putting together information, emailing residents and basically doing whatever we could to promote and continue the uniqueness of our community. Along with my husband and another great neighbor, John Norton, Dave even spoke in front of the Board of Regents to demonstrate the importance of maintaining our neighborhood.

I only knew Dave for a brief time, but I can say, without a doubt, that he was one of the kindest, most positive people I've ever known. When I checked his Facebook information after hearing of his death, I read that he was agnostic. He and I shared that also - the not knowing. I don't know whether or not Dave knows more about religion now, but I believe that because of the life he lived on earth, he is at peace. Dave brought peace, promoted peace and stood for peace, so he is now comforted by the peace of his actions.

Miss ya Dave. Glad I knew you, glad I was inspired by you and so glad that you, Lisa and I got to share a lot of laughs together.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm really sorry about the loss of your friend. I'm so glad you had the chance to know him, and to learn from him during your time in Michigan. What a tragic loss, Heather. I'm so sad for his family.