Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Monday, February 1, 2010

Converted?

The family has now been attending First Presbyterian consistently for about 3 months and a turning point was when Sophie was asked to light the candles last week and she did it, like a pro! I've been feeling like it gives Sophie something to hold on to, something to expect and something for which she can always use as a base when and if she wants.

I was raised Methodist and Presbyterian - not very different from one another, and was baptized, but never confirmed. I have no idea if I'll ever officially join a church, but I can see us attending First Pres for quite awhile.

My problem is, I'm not a Christian and I just cannot envision myself ever fully believing that Jesus Christ is the savior. As I've written (I think) before, I find it egotistical to think one religion has it right and all others are missing this very huge component. There are so many people doing wonderful things from all belief structures and what I can say I do believe is that each person is deserving of eternal happiness, not that I am even sure there is a place such as heaven that offers eternal happiness. I do not think there is a hell nor satan and I do not like the prayer in which we all are suppose to speak of what sinful creatures we are. I'd rather focus on the positive!

So we'll keep going to First Pres and enjoy the community and message and see what develops. Oh, and it gives Soph some time to catch up on her reading or yes...her DS playing, as she did yesterday.

1 comment:

Kelly Rhea said...

I actually looked up the word Christian in the dictionary. There is an informal definition too. When I was a kid I got lost in the corn field at night and prayed to find a way out and didn't feel alone after praying. I told the church members that's how I look at Jesus as my savior. When I need to follow his example, his path, in order to be free and have peace, I pray. I don't believe Jesus is the only way to experiencing Spirit/God, but I admire his radical love that ticked off the pharisees. The traditions I follow are chosen for their kindness and communion with others. I wish I had grown up in an open minded and loving family and church like Sophie!