Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Intent

Yesterday I was walking Lucy around the LDS Temple (it is a great hill) and I felt really sad. The temple is surrounded by huge gates and the message I get from it is that those gates are there to keep people out.

I understand that people see the temple and what goes on inside as sacred. Perhaps they do not want throes of people invading their territory, because they appreciate the quiet and want to be around others who are understanding of the rituals taking place. However, what the temple symbolizes to me is a place of great judgment by one human of another. Judgment is natural, I judge all day long, but I thought a religion that touted the teachings of Jesus Christ was suppose to embrace his love for all persons, to open their doors to all of God's children and to never place one person above another.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Heather, I obviously don't agree. Of course I believe our church promotes the love for all of God's children. I know the intent of the temple is not to keep others out.

The reason we're so serious about missionary work and sharing the gospel with those around us (much to the annoyance of some) is because we want to share with others something we think is wonderful that we believe is true.

You know the doors of our chapels are open to all. Everyone is welcome to attend our Sabbath day meetings to learn about Christ and His gospel. All are invited to learn about and understand the temple so they can gain a desire to go there for the right reasons.

But you're absolutely right, I do view the temple as sacred, and I don't want people who do not believe watching my sacred ceremonies.

Please believe me when I say that I really don't feel that I am better than anyone else because I have a temple recommend. Know that the huge amount of respect I have for you is not affected by the fact that you are not a member of the LDS church.