Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 17

I gave anonymously, but one of those mass giving type of things: a program called SEED was raising money through various restaurants who gave 10% of their proceeds to the organization and the Albee-Scotts LOVE eating out (or ordering take-out as it was).

I also had the chance to help someone yesterday via my friend in Kansas. Lisa (who I've written about before) and I became friends when we moved here in 2006 and I was heartbroken when she moved in 2007. She contacted me yesterday about a family who might need some help. I couldn't reach the family, but was able to find someone who went out of his way (really out of his way) to get the family in touch with me. I was then able to get the family in touch with an organization in Logan that helps in these kinds of situations.

One of the interactions we had was with a landlord and as Sophie noted after our brief meeting, "He was really nice!" I hope she realized that people really do want to help others, and people are willing to give each other a break if they feel an effort is being made. Sometimes in the midst of a crisis we need a spokesperson, someone to stand up for us. I've had many spokespeople in my life and am lucky to have learned by example.

When I thanked my friend for giving me the opportunity to help, she laughed. But I love being able to help, I just don't always know how. There are also so many times we resist asking for help, fearing what others will think of us, and yet I have found that people genuinely love being able to do something for someone else. I am very bad at asking for help. I worry that people will think I am inadequate and lazy and that they'll get a glimpse into a life that is sometimes chaotic and messy. On the other hand, I greatly admire those people who admit that they cannot do everything on their own and who give me a chance to be a part of their lives.

Maybe my next journey should be "40 Days of Asking for Help."

No comments: