Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Monday, March 8, 2010

Big Love - Almost

I haven't had any good "only in Utah" stories lately, so when my friend mentioned her recent dating experience, I had to ask her if I could post it. She said yes, so here it is:

In July 2009, I decided to try an online dating service. I met a man living in Logan, in his 40s, seemed nice, seemed intelligent, had kids, gainfully employed, blah, blah, blah. We chatted several times a week for a couple of weeks. I agreed to meet for drinks. Because he had posted a picture of himself with several kids, one of the first questions I asked when we met face to face was how many kids did he actually have. He responded, "Oh, I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that right off. I was hoping we'd get to know each other better first." (See red flashing light here.) I said, "Well, with that response now you have to answer." He told me that he had been married 20+ years, Mormon, 6 or 7 children, and that he had come to realize that this planet would never amount to anything until all people returned to fundamentalist Mormonism (read polygamy here.). His wife disagreed. So, he divorced her, found a 22 yr. old who did agree, married her, and had an 18 month old baby. He went on to complain that child support for 6-7 children was soooo expensive he and his new wife lived with her mother. So, he said that she and he were looking for a partner and would that be something I'd be interested in. I immediately said NO! He said, "Would you like to think about it?" I said, "No, I know myself pretty well and that I know that I am a monogamous, jealous person and I think Lorena Bobbit was right on." Date over.

Thank you Rebecca Garrido, for sharing your story!

5 comments:

Jenn Olsen said...

WOW!

Linda said...

LOL. I wish I knew someone to set your friend up with.p

Charlotte said...

Oh my heck!

(How's that phrase for "living in Utah?")

Brooke said...

Oh, how I wish I had read this before playing bunco with Rebecca tonight!

Beee said...

The guyis living in the wrong part of Utah. Needs to go down closer to Eagle Mountain, Mona or even Southern Utah.