Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not Good or Bad, Just Is


The pic was taken at Porcupine Dam last night, it was the first time I saw this amazing place! We went to Paradise, UT to check out the gardeners' market, but ended up visiting the dam instead. Such incredible beauty.

I read a story recently that really resonated with me:

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.

"I don't know if it is good or bad, I just know my horse ran away," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.

"I don't know if it is good or bad, I just know I have 4 horses," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "I don't know if it is good or bad, I just know my son broke his leg," answered the farmer. The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "I don't know if it is good or bad, I just know the military officials did not take my son," said the farmer.

As my family prepares to move to Michigan, there are many circumstances that initially appear good or bad, but I am learning that what may first appear one way may later appear another. My hope is that this move is a good one for our family and yet, I realize so much of that is up to us. The fact is, we are moving, there is much to be done and how it will all turn out is not within my grasp of knowledge, but what I do know is that I play a huge part in determining how this move is perceived.

Right now I still have a few weeks to enjoy the beauty and splendor of Utah!





2 comments:

staceygriff said...

I'm sad you didn't get out to porcupine dam sooner. It's fun to go out there in the fall, there are actually salmon swimming upstream. We took Kiah up there one year and we had no idea there were salmon up that way.
I enjoyed the Taoist story. It's a good reminder to look at life in another way. Thanks.

Linda said...

Stac: if you see this... didn't we go cliff jumping at Porcupine Dam once?