Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Thursday, July 29, 2010

19

It is completely ironic that my favorite bookstore in Logan is Borders, because the headquarters is in Ann Arbor, but I do, I love Borders. I love the cafe, the browsing of books, the comfy chairs where I can sit and make an impressive dent in a book without actually purchasing it, the amount of time Sophie can spend looking around as I carry a book with me and read snippets.

The Ann Arbor Borders gets amazing authors (we got a book signed by Tom Robbins) fabulous performers (They Might Be Giants took a pic with Sophie) and even some discoing celebrity (yes, John Travolta was signing Battlefield Earth, which we purchased and still have, but only because he signed it). In Ann Arbor I actually preferred going to Barnes & Noble, it just seemed cleaner, but would visit Borders when a big name was there.

The Logan Borders has had some authors, we visited one who signed a book about dragons for Sophie and there was the interesting Harry Potter Party when the 7th book came out, but it's not because of its events that we frequent the store - it's familiarity and ease. Yes, at the "big, bad chain store" (You've Got Mail!) we save money on discounted books and take proceeds away from independent stores...but, here's the thing...

Logan does not have a decent independent book store! They did - A Book Store - which was here in the 90s, but now, nothing. Used bookstores, yes, but I find them to be overpriced. Ok, I'm wracking my brain and the reality is, I think, that Borders is THE only bookstore in Logan (except for the religious bookstores).

So, one of my favorite places in Logan is a place we had in Ann Arbor and San Antonio and they have the exact same carpet in the children's section here as they had there. Borders is not unique to Logan - HOWEVER! - I do think the LDS section may be unique to Utah.

No comments: