Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Looking Ahead

I finished my 3rd day of week 7 of the running program I am following - just 1 more day of this week. Next week I get to start out running for 20 minutes nonstop and work up to 30 minutes. For the following weeks I want to attempt this schedule to build up to a 5K:

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 Rest 1.5 mi run CT or Rest 1.5 mi run Rest 1.5 mi run 20-30 min EZ
2 Rest 1.75 mi run CT or Rest 1.5 mi run Rest 1.75 mi run 20-30 min EZ
3 Rest 2 mi run CT or Rest 1.5 mi run Rest 2 mi run 20-30 min EZ
4 Rest 2.25 mi run CT or Rest 1.5 mi run Rest 2.25 mi run 25-35 min EZ
5 Rest 2.5 mi run CT or Rest 2 mi run Rest 2.5 mi run 25-35 min EZ
6 Rest 2.75 mi run CT 2 mi run Rest 2.75 mi run 35-40 min EZ
7 Rest 3 mi run CT 2 mi run Rest 3 mi run 40 min EZ
8 Rest 3 mi run CT or Rest 2 mi run Rest Rest 5K Race!

The 5K I want to do is July 24, so I might have to push this a bit, but I think I can do it! Anyone who runs, please tell me what exactly "rest" means...complete rest? May I take my dogs for walks up the big hills: Old Main, the Temple, etc.?

3 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

I don't want to be dense, but what is the CT for? As for rest, I'd say it means not running. So taking a walk with your dogs would be fine, to me at least. But I am NO EXPERT! :) That schedule looks awesome Heather! Good luck.

Unknown said...

CT = cross training (took me a second to figure it out too, and I only knew it because I read the whole blurb on the web site).

I think it means no running too, but certainly a walk with the hounds is good!

Callen and Kellie said...

Ok, here is my "expert" advice. I am a HUGE advocate of weight training. Now don't get scared off by that. Weight training does NOT = huge muscles. It means TONES muscles. And it is one of the best ways to increase your metabolism and hence, decrease your fat. So, on your CT day, I would make it a weight training day. Something small, maybe just a few lunges and a few bicep curls with soup cans.
As for the rest days, it is definitely a good day to take off at LEAST one day of hard exercise. Taking your dogs for a walk shouldn't count as hard exercise. You just need a day for your muscles to rebuild and your body to recuperate.
A last suggestion, if weight training isn't possible, maybe use your CT day for something like swimming. Something that uses different muscles, but will continue to strenghten your heart. I LOVE that you are exercising. I am somewhat OBSESSED with exercise and get so excited when other people do it too! :)
Now if only I can lose my baby weight and look as good as you....