Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Childhood Rite of Passage

We survived another sleepover at our house - whew! I had no idea how tiring they were for the parents, and to think my parents had 5 children, though I don't think we ever had sleepovers at the same time.

Soph had her first sleepover when she was 5 years old, in Family Housing at the University of Michigan. Her friend spent the night at our home, then Soph went over there. We lived in townhouses and the home was literally one townhouse away, so yep, at 10:00 p.m. I did a little walk by! Right at that moment, my phone rang, it was the mom and I thought I was busted, but no, she just wanted to know if I could bring Soph's favorite cereal over. It seems the sleeping part was about the same at the friend's house as at ours, because when Soph came home the next day she said, "Eun's mom said we can't have sleepovers anymore." I admit, I wasn't too disappointed.

Since then Soph's had quite a few sleepovers and we've not yet had to pick her up in the middle of the night nor drive a friend home in the middle of the night (as happened with me!).

In Utah sleepovers are not the thing and I think I know why, but if someone can respond to this and tell me for sure, I'd appreciate it! Late nights are big out here, which I kind of like, because we all get some sleep. A late night entails a friend coming over, sometimes in their pajamas, and staying until about 10:00 p.m. They then return home and we all head to bed, versus the up until 1:00 a.m. bit that happens at sleepovers.

The only thing is, I so fondly remember sleepovers I had as a kid, at my house and at my friends' homes. I was never molested or did anything that I shouldn't have (or that I wouldn't have done at another time of day) - and yes, I know these things can happen at sleepovers and it would break my heart. I also know the parents of the children with whom Soph plays and I feel very confident that the only thing we need fear is their sleep-deprived frustration the next day as our child can stay up LATE!!!

Now, having written this, I think I did a post once touting the great things about late nights, and they are great, but as always, my mind changes on topics...sometimes from minute to minute. Utah is the only place that I've heard of such a ban on sleepovers, or am I just not aware of this occurrence elsewhere?

What do you all think?

1 comment:

chiree said...

I don't quite understand the whole sleepover thing either. I have always let the kids have sleepovers at our house or theirs as long as I knew the parents and was comfortable. I have had all 5 kid have friends have a sleepover at the same time. Its a fun experience that all should enjoy. Nothing better than jammies pizza movies sneaking out staying up all night and having children sleeping in every imaginable place.(Desk, floor, chairs, piled ontop of each other.) I think sometimes people protect their kids to a point of disservice. So there.