Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weighty Issue

When I moved to Utah way back in 1991, I lost 20 pounds pretty quickly. Some of that was due to all the hiking and walking I did, and some was due to leading a more active social life and not eating out of boredom (though I still did from time to time). When I moved to Michigan in 1999 I was 4 months pregnant and gained about 40 pounds. I took some of it off a year later, but put most of it back on and on it stayed. I can blame it on the long winters, the lack of mountains to hike and my busy life as a mom, but those are not the only reasons why I kept 20 - 30 extra pounds on my body. I won't go into my theories about carrying extra weight, the bottom line is simple: too much taken in, not enough exerted out!

So when we moved back to Utah in 2006 I thought for sure all the hiking and walking I would once again do would mean I would take off the extra weight very easily. Not so! We've been back over 3 years and it's still there!

We started a new decade 2 weeks ago and once again, I am vowing to lose this stinking weight! The biggest change I'm making is not eating in front of the computer or on the go. When I want to eat something, unless it is fruit (I can eat that on the go, I've decided), I have to sit down and take the time to eat. I often find that I don't want to sit down to consume chocolate or whatever else is unnecessary, but so desired. I do still eat chocolate and all that other yummy stuff, but I think I'm eating less.

I've also increased my activity level. From another blog I got the idea of using the stairs in our home as a workout and I have been putting our Wii Fit to great use. Today Lucy and I walked about 4 - 5 miles and it's not always strenuous (Lucy likes to stop and sniff and I like stopping too!), it is better than sitting around.

I've lost 5 pounds and feel really good. I'm hoping, HOPING, to be back to my comfortable weight by the end of March. I'm also hoping that I don't beat myself up or become obsessed about it. Blech.

Anyway, I thought living in Utah would bring healthier habits and it should, this area is absolutely beautiful and the outdoors are constantly calling...I just need to answer!

No comments: