Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Three Years

I was trying to order checks (they no longer carry the University of Michigan checks, so I'll have to find a new design, sigh) and realized I didn't have to change my address, we've been here for 3 years! I have only lived in one other house/apartment for 3 years in the last 18 years!

When I lived in Utah from 1991 - 1999, I moved to a new apartment every few months. In Ann Arbor we were in our first apartment for 2.5 years and then our townhouse for about 3.5 years. After that we lived in Texas for only 11 months. We rented when we first came back to Utah and then moved in to our current home in January, 2007.

I have yet to feel like I'm somewhere permanently, it's that restless feeling that grows in me that won't allow me to think I'm here forever and it's the "I can't believe we came back to Utah" part of me that feels the need to run, quickly, away from this crazy state!

And yet, we love so much about our home...the physical house and the town. Our house is 1800 square feet, built in the 1950s and still has red shag carpet in the basement. We have a breezeway that I can't wait to get closed in, a kitchen that I did not finish painting so it still has some blue trim, some white, and my favorite feature: a laundry chute. The best part of the house is the neighborhood. The homes are all older and there's a great mix of young families, older people and some singletons. We live within walking distance of a handful of parks and we're literally 5 minutes away from the mountains.

As for Logan, Sophie goes to a great public school, Steve loves his job and I have a great mix of work, volunteering and now furthering my education. We love the small town feel, but know we have all the amenities we need. We've taken advantage of some concerts and productions that are far less expensive to see here than most other places. We're very lucky and with the frustrations that arise with one religious group being dominant, well, it definitely keeps things interesting and there is always something to talk about!

So, this might be the place I live the longest...actually, with my previous stint in Utah combined with my current 3 years, it is the longest. Wisconsin was 10 years, Pennsylvania and Michigan 6, Texas just 1 and New Jersey 2, but I was only 2 when we moved away, so I don't count that. Does this make me a Utahn? Could definitely be a lot worse!

3 comments:

Janet P. said...

Heather, just wanted to let you know we did see your kind comment on our Everest blog. Thank you for coming, and we're glad you enjoyed it!

Linda said...

Wow most of this blog could have been written by me. I'm glad I found your blog. :)

Unknown said...

Linda - I'm glad too! I'm trying to keep it up more frequently this year and get back to writing about the oddities of Utah. It'll be good to have someone give me feedback!

Steve and I have been going to First Presbyterian in Logan and today the pastor said, "Only in Utah is coffee a theological statement," and I laughed out loud. That is one of the crazy things about Utah that I think some people just don't get. And yes, I write a lot about coffee. :)