Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Great Coffee Conundrum

I brought a coffee maker to work and in less than 2 hours of being on, I was asked to turn it off. I won't go into the cultural components of it here, if you're interested, you can look up information about typical Utah beliefs and whatnot, but, there is a great article on WebMD listing the benefits of coffee: http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food.

I am worried about raising Sophie in Utah and keeping her informed of what is normal in the world outside of Utah, but I also feel strongly that there are enough people in Utah who need us to speak out for them. What makes this all so silly really, is that coffee should not be something that causes this much controversy, and I'd love to know how many public schools in America have a coffee maker in their faculty lounge. Really.

6 comments:

Jason said...

My guess is that every school outside of our geographic location :) has a coffee maker. Hello. I am baffled by all this. So let's talk!

Brooke said...

Hey, Heather, that was actually me commenting last time, but it showed up as Jason. But don't worry. He thinks it's the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard and is ready to go have a talking to with whoever asked you to turn off the coffee maker. He did roast coffee at Caffe Ibis for a long time, though, so he is biased to the aroma. :) Love ya. Hang in there. At least it's spring break!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Brooke, I've been pleased with the words of support I've received over this, and from sources I felt were unlikely (not meaning you, you're always supportive!!!). At the end of the day, it's all good, I just wanted to speak out on behalf of us coffee-drinkers, and one thing that touched me is a co-worker said she was so happy about it, because she felt she couldn't be herself previously. There are bridges to be built, from both sides, and hopefully we'll all meet in the middle and realize our similarities far outweigh our differences...some of us will just have mugs of coffee when we meet there!

Taylor Anne Vail said...

I personally think it is crazy that they would ask you to turn it off. Your not pressuring anyone to partake if they don't want to. What happened to freedom of choice? I wonder if it a religious preference or a power trip that is not allowing you to have a coffee maker. Either way...not right! Let me know if your sending around a petition. I would totally have your back on this one!
Tiff

Taylor Anne Vail said...

p.s. would they have thrown a fit if you brought it a cocomotion (hot cocoa maker)? I think not!

Laura said...

Hi, Heather. Miss you guys lots here in TX. I read your post and I've got to agree with you. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my dad was and I loved waking up to the smell of it in the morning. Who said that anyway? Let me at 'em.