Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Love Will Keep Us Together

The title is such because that song has been in my head, not sure why, and I can't think of a way to title the thoughts I'm about to post.

We had our first MLK Commission presentation at our school today and it coincided with a conversation I had yesterday. First, to find out more about the MLK Commission and its Adopt-a-School program, visit their website: http://community.utah.gov/MLK_commission/adoptaschool/index.html.

The conversation yesterday was about being non-Mormon in Utah and do I feel treated differently. My answer to that one would depend on the day. Most days I feel great about living here, I love the education I'm experiencing, as well as feeling I might be broadening some people's minds. Other days I feel angry. Sometimes I think that anger is justified (see coffee maker not allowed in school post) and other times I think that anger is an irrational reaction on my part.

Today I sat through the 3 presentations that Michael Styles did on behalf of the Adopt-a-School program and as I listened I vacillated between feeling really excited and feeling worried. Excited because of the enthusiasm of the students and hearing them talk about issues they obviously deal with in their lives. Worried because I know there will be adults who think we should not be talking about this kind of thing in a public school. What kind of thing do I mean? Differences.

Why do we shy away from talking about things that are so obvious? I think it is because we don't want to offend others, right? Or is it because by talking about such things we have to really look at ourselves and question our own beliefs and actions. Do I stereotype people based on race, religion, socioeconomic status? Yes. Have I been proven wrong? Absolutely! Am I trying to learn and be more open to other ideas? Yes, but it does scare me sometimes, because I feel comfortable with my beliefs and it is hard to fully accept another person who believes differently than I do, because by accepting them I might be saying I could be wrong!

So I like to go around saying I'm open-minded and accepting and tolerant and all those wonderful things that one is suppose to say, but I'm not always and I know that and I appreciate it when people feel comfortable to talk about what they believe. Thank you.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, you really nailed some things on the head with this post, Heather! And can I say that I love how you ended everything with "Thank you." ?? You are great.

I want to talk to you more about this in person, because I can see it's really on your mind and I want to find out more about what's happening at the school, etc.

Brooke said...

Oh, and I want to say that I think the title of your post is perfect, because loving someone is a lot better than just tolerating someone who believes differently than we do.
And I think this is a complex issue, regarding not wanting to offend someone and being nervous about examining our own beliefs. As an LDS person who has many non-LDS friends, I am constantly in fear of making a person feel that I am trying to convert them if I try to share anything about my church. But that is so weird and I know it!
I know that if you talked about your church I would have no problem at all; I would be interested and not offended. It's just that there are so many of "us" here that I probably overcompensate and don't even share a normal amount of info about my church for fear that you will think I am pushing it on you.
So... we have much to learn from each other. Thanks for helping me see things in new ways.

Mrs. Squire said...

Heather, I love your blog. I hope you don't mind me reading it!

Why don't I know about the adopt-a-school program? Because it's for 3-6th grades, I guess.

I think it would be so interesting to attend these discussions. I'd love to hear what the kids have to say about the issues. They need a chance to talk about differences, and in many ways they need to be taught respect and acceptance.