Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Monday, August 2, 2010

A bit of a deviation

I'm going to take a break from my Best of Logan Countdown to address something I've been thinking about for awhile.

In my discussions about religion I often hear people say they just knew, they felt it was right or they heard a voice telling them the religion they follow is true. As a skeptic, I've often felt (heard a voice, just knew, hahaha) that it was a self-fulfilling prophecy situation. A person wants to believe in something, so they set the conditions for it to be so. The problem was/is, I have felt a comfort when praying or in a religious setting and I like that comfort! Then this happened...

When I was preparing to fly to Michigan a few weeks ago, I kept getting signals that I shouldn't go. Nearly every time I looked at the clock, it was 9:11 (to me that was a sign because of 9/11) and a few days before I was to leave, I stopped behind a car and the license plate read 911. I prayed about it and heard a clear voice telling me not to go. Not good. The reality was, I hate flying, I am certain each flight I take is "the one", but I usually get a feeling that it's all going to be ok. Not so this time.

When I got to the SLC airport, I tried to give up my seat for a later flight, feeling like it was that first leg that was doomed. They didn't need people to give up their seats, so I found a person more afraid of flying than I was and we chatted in the gate, sat next to each other on the plane and I ended up having one of the most enjoyable flights ever.

So what does this all mean? Who knows, but, for me it showed me that when we want to believe something, we can find all the proof we need (not that I wanted to believe I was going to die in an airplane crash, but my fear of flying is very real). I still believe in listening to that little voice inside all of us - and giving it the credit it deserves, while realizing we are the ones in control of that voice. I just don't think that praying for an answer to whether or not a certain religion is true is the most trustworthy path to take, because through the act of praying you are already giving validity to the religion you believe.

I write this also believing that if a person finds comfort within a religion, within a belief system, within a faith in a higher power, they have found a truth FOR THEM. The truth is that the religion, the belief, the faith brings meaning to their life, gives them joy, etc. It still does not mean the religion or the higher power is true, but maybe that's not important - but I would feel better if people acknowledged it.

4 comments:

Jenn Olsen said...

Heather, I wish I had the ability to articulate myself as well as you do... I love that you make a person think... hard!

Though I don't know you really well, I am certainly going to miss this.

Unknown said...

Jenn, you're very kind. Can you tell me how it made you think?

I'm tossing around ideas for a new blog in Jackson, just not sure if I should focus on one thing or blog about my silly, little life still :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

I like your countwon - what a great idea.

I know I'm behind the times, but CONGRATULATIONS on your race! :) That's so wonderful. Some people don't think that a 5K is a big deal, but for me it so was. There are a lot of people who can run marathons or run 10K's easily, but in reality they are few and far between. Think of all the people that can't even run a mile without getting winded! That's fabulous Heather.

Callen and Kellie said...

Maybe you weren't supposed to get on the plane for different reasons... like maybe you're not supposed to move and you're supposed to hold Sophie back so she can be in my class again. Maybe?