Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Different Online Addiction

I wish I could say that I haven't blogged because I've been so busy with life, but the reality is, I'm on Facebook and catch-up with people that way and I spend way too much time on it!

I'm usually writing on here about the weird things about Utah, and I do have a story to follow that line...will write at the end...but there is one thing about the dominant culture that I admire and am trying to emulate: healthy living.

I don't mean no smoking (I don't do that anyway), no drinking alcohol (I believe a glass of wine now and then is a good thing), or no coffee (shown to prevent breast cancer), but I believe a big trend of the LDS Church has been to reduce the amount of sugar one eats.

I am about 30-40 pounds above my ideal weight and have been so for far too long. I don't like the way I look, the way I feel and I am doing myself a disservice by continuing some bad habits: eating junk food mindlessly and not exercising consistently.

Monday I took the plunge and I have not binged since then, which for me is HUGE. I have to be careful, because sometimes I'll go overboard, meaning, I won't eat enough, then I'll get grumpy and figure it's not worth it. I'm trying to follow some friends' habits: eating less carbohydrates and sugar.

I feel really good, have lost 3 pounds and find myself realizing my triggers. When I feel stressed, bored or tired, I want to eat...a lot.

Ok, now for the Utah story. We went to Salt Lake today and stopped by Build-a-Bear. They had this missionary outfit for a Missionary Bear and I said to one of the salespeople, "That's kind of weird." He asked, "What do you mean, weird?" I guess he could be right, but if you go to a Build-a-Bear in Rome, do they have a Pope Bear? In Pennsylvania, do they have Amish Bear? In Russia do they have Atheist Bear? That's why I thought it was weird.

No comments: