Abe Said it Best

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion."

Friday, November 21, 2008

Science Fair and Field Trip

I love being the parent of an elementary school child! Fortunately, Sophie now allows me to volunteer in her classroom (she went through a period in kindergarten in which I was not to come at all, because she said she was too sad when I left) and I even work at her school, so I am there a LOT!

The Science Fair was Wednesday evening and Soph did a report on cats...third year in a row. We are the kind of parents who really try to let Soph do her own thing, with just a few suggestions and most of those she tosses aside. Her poster was great, lots of Sophie drawings of a variety of cats and we found out that lions only kill about 15 animals per year, much less than many domestic cats. I have photos, but can't find the cord that attaches to the computer. Sorry, Mom.

Today was the third grade field trip to see a production of "A Christmas Carol" at Utah State University. We walked up to campus, which is not an easy feat given the big hill to get there, and I did my best to not interfere with Sophie's time with her friends (she gave me a little talk about this last night). The play was very well done and the kids were a fabulous audience. I do think one of the other parents who went along took a little nap during the show, but I can't blame her...you gotta catch some shut-eye when you can.

My favorite part was on the walk back, when one of Soph's friends said he really liked, "Screech." I asked, "Do you mean Scrooge." He said, "Oh yeah," but for those of you who grew up in the 80's, you know about Screech and Saved by the Bell...I appreciated the reference.

1 comment:

Laura said...

My kids never got to go see plays when they were at Adam's. So jealous! That would have been a blast. And, really liked the Screech reference. We're dorks!